Asti Motel Site

I live adjacent to a large "dead" site known as the Asti Motel.

There is a new development proposal see here: https://planinc.org.au/news/current-campaigns-2/309-old-asti-site.html

Some seven and a half years ago the site stalled, and Larrakeyah has been living with temporary fencing on three street fronts and a massive pit in the ground that holds water year-round.

In the latter years due to the building next door threatening to slide into the pit the owners have been backfilling the pit, we now have two deep pits with sheer walls that hold water year-round.

Late September 2021 builders turned up and began to excavate away the footings of the building that is falling into the pit.

No notice to nearby residents, no notification of who is doing the works and no secure gate.

All these pictures of gates are taken after 5pm when the site has been abandoned for the day.

This picture I took on the first night mid September. Rang NT Worksafe who I later learnt decided to take no action. The staff who work after 4:21pm do not have access to an email address photos can be sent to. The process is for the resident to send a sms to the NT Worksafe staff member’s personal phone. My SMS failed so no action.
After the weekend I contacted NT Worksafe again, and action occurred, signs went up identifying the builder and the gate was secured by some twist tie:

So again, I notified NT Worksafe advising that the twist tie will slip over the top of the gate. Next day a chain and padlock appear.

A week later the chain and padlock are replaced with a bicycle lock.

Slide the bike lock up the fence will come away from the post. I contacted NT Worksafe and the next day the bicycle lock was doubled over creating a tighter join.

This most recent photo is taken from inside the site at 5:20pm. Different gate, same effect, no one is watching these cowboy’s and our children are at risk.

Again I have rung NT Worksafe. So, four calls in two weeks, perhaps not good enough?

Our Location

Our valued volunteers man the office Thursday afternoon between 1pm and 5.30pm. We are located at 8/1 Buffalo Court, Darwin.

Contact

Phone: 08 8927 1999
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Support